January 3, 2012

Retirement

What does my bar-b-que grill and St. Louis Cardinals Manager Tony LaRussa have in common? The answer is they have both participated in their last World Series.

Tony retired after managing for 32 years with the White Sox, Athletics and the Cardinals, he managed 5,067 games, winning 2,728 of those games, managing in six World Series and winning three of those, and he’s one of only two managers to manage a team that won the World Series in the National and American leagues.

I’m not sure what the stats are on my old grill but it’s been through my Grandpa, my dad and now me, it’s been around for about 15 years and unlike Tony it did not leave at the top of its game. It’s struggled to cook meat for the last few years and it was time to say good-bye.


Much like the Cardinals were in need of new manager I was in need of a new grill. We both got what we needed. The Cardinals hired a former player Mike Matheney and my dad got me a new grill for Christmas.
Both of them have one thing in common, they are inexperienced. Mike has never managed a major or minor league team and the new grill has never cooked a piece of meat. The experience isn’t a bad thing for my grill but it’s defiantly a gamble with the Cardinals and Mike Matheney. Hopefully next fall I’ll be grilling meat on the new grill while Matheney is managing St. Louis in the World Series.

1 comment:

Melanie said...

That's a pretty nice new grill! I hope it works out really well for you. :)